SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2017

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2017 12:37:14 -0800

>>> https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/utilities/using-cut-buffers.html
>>> https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/window-information/selection.html
>>>
>>> Sorry I pointed you in the wrong direction to start with.
>>>

>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/utilities/using-cut-buffers.html
>> is the ctrl-c/v/x clipboard.
>>
>> But, looking at
>>    https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/window-information/selection.html
>>
>> He talks a lot about changing the ownership.  Is the the mouse over and
>> middle click clipboard (primary)?  I may still have the wrong clipboard.
>> Am I missing something?
>
> Yes, mouse over and middle click is primary.  xclip will let you transfer text between
> primary and clipboard.
>
> For instance,
> xclip -o -sel clip |xclip -sel p
> will put the clipboard selection into the primary, from which you can paste it with
> the middle button, and
> xclip -o -sel p |xclip -sel clip
> will put the selection that you have highlighted with the mouse into the clipboard,
> from which you can ctrl-v it into an openoffice document or whatever.
>
> Obviously, you want to give these incantations names or bind them to keys if you
> intend to use them a lot.
>
> Hope that's useful.
>
> Stephen Isard

Hi Stephen,

I am trying to write a module in Perl 6 to do it myself
without using xclip.  I have the source code for xclip,
but I don't read C, so it is a hair puller.

What I really need is the right "man pages" for "clipboard"
and "primary", so I can write my own inline code.  Andrew
has pointed me in the right direction.

One thing I did get from xclip's code is that he
is only checking the first letter of is command line
parameters.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.