SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2017

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2017 02:05:53 -0500
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 3:58 AM, MAH Maccallum
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Thanks, Christoph-Erdman. I managed to resolve the problem by
> uninstalling a Windows program that was, I think, causing the
> issue by trying to access the Linux partition, so I am back in action,
> but your information will certainly help avoid such issues in future.
>  Thanks again, Malcolm

Note to the wary. The simpler solution, for the future, is not to use
dual-boot. Virtualize one OS inside the other, and don't expose one
system's disks to the other.except over more regulated, network based
file sharing. I admit that, these days, I'll use Windoes as the base
OS for better support from my hardware vendor and better game
performance, and use VirtualBox or other virtualization systems for
running lighter weight Linux VM's. for testable research and
development on my laptop or desktop. I don't get the full speed of the
the hardare for my Linux VM's, but they're so much lighter weight I
don't usually *care*, and I can still run my games and critical
Windows apps.

And yes, I've run critical debugging tools and penetration tools from
my Linux VM, on an encrypted disk for basic security in the admittedly
tougher to secure Windows environment, and even run PXE, DNS backup
servers, and internal Scientific Linux yum mirrors on VM's on my
laptop for debugging and network services as needed. And it's been mch
easier to debug or repair a broken VM than an unbootable dual-boot
setup.

I'm not discounting dual-boot solutions for bare metal speed or
debugging hardware driver compatibility, but I don't see a lot of
point to it these days.