SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2017

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2017 08:09:59 -0600
On 02/16/2017 10:07 PM, ~Stack~ wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm going to keep this "short" because I've just had 6hrs of things I've
> tried that didn't work. It would take to long to list them all. :-)
>
> I have a bunch of new SuperMicro servers. Installed 7.3 on it. Reboot
> and it hangs at:
> "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)...ok"
>
> And by hangs, I mean there is NO response out of anything. No Caps Lock
> light on keyboard, nothing.
>
> However, if I let it sit long enough it will boot (once one sat for an
> hour before it continued on, most of the time it is closer to 30-40
> minutes).
>
> If I boot into rescue kernel, it instantly boots. Every time. This is so
> puzzling to me.
>
> If I wait and let it boot, then check 'systemd-analyze' it says my boot
> time is sub 6 seconds (fancy new SSD's too!) and blame tells me that the
> longest section to boot was 3 seconds on the networking. Well, that is
> worthless because it just SAT THERE FOR THIRTY MINUTES!!! It obviously
> starts recording time after the hang.
>
> No matter the amount of logging I do or what debug mode I put it in, it
> prints "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)...ok" then hangs, and
> EVERYTHING after that has nothing to do whatsoever with the reason for
> the hang.
>
> I have disabled just about everything I can think of from various online
> suggestions. I removed the quiet flag (duh) and I've turned off
> intel_pthread's and power states and ACPI and nomodeset and loglevel=7
> and blah blah blah blah. Seriously, my string of crap tacked on to the
> grub prompt is getting rather absurd. (I boot into recovery, modify
> /etc/default/grub and run grub2-mkconfig to set the grub prompt; I
> checked and this is working to set the grub parameters).
>
> Still same result. Recovery kernel boots, the other kernel hangs.
>
> Fine. I will install a kernel from El Repo! I'll get a fancy new 4 kernel!
>
> Yeah. That doesn't do squat either.
>
> Want to know the thing most infuriating? A single box in the whole
> batch, shows this problem once every 10 boots or so. I can't tell that
> there is a stinking thing different. BIOS is exactly the same, configs,
> install, packages, everything. *shrug*
>
> Are there *any* suggestions at all as to how I can figure out what it is
> hanging on? Is there a list of things after EDD that I can just start
> disabling till I get a different result?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks!
> ~Stack~

Can you tell use what motherboard and drives you have?  I've used
several models from SuperMicro (presently using X11SAE) without problems.

I am careful about my BIOS options.  For example, I ensure the disk
access mode is set AHCI and not RAID.  It might be worth poking around
there to see if anything makes a difference.

-Mark