SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2017

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2017 14:18:50 +0100
On 17/02/17 12:36, ~Stack~ wrote:
> Greetings,
> On 02/17/2017 04:37 AM, Bluejay Adametz wrote:
>>> I have a bunch of new SuperMicro servers. Installed 7.3 on it. Reboot
>>> and it hangs at:
>>> "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)...ok"
>>
>> Did you get rid of the "quiet" option on the kernel line? If not, do
>> so, so you're sure to get all the kernel messages. It might not be
>> hanging where you think it is.
>>

> I did remove 'quiet' as well as 'rhgb'.

There's a lot of nice debug possibilities which can be enabled via the
kernel command line.  I would look closely at debug, earlyprintk= and edd=

<https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html>

I've never had any EDD issues, so I don't know how early that appears.
But edd=off at the command line would be valuable to test as well.

The earlyprintk is quite useful if issues appears very early in the boot
process, and it has best benefit if you can hook up this against an
external system (serial port, etc).

Another thing to check is /proc/cmdline if you manage to boot the system
using a SL install medium in rescue mode.  Also check the kernel
versions installed vs the one on the install medium.  Using the install
medium in rescue mode, it should be possible to mount the root file
system in a chroot, where you can downgrade/upgrade the kernel if that
is different from the install medium.

Just my few cents of ideas ...

--
kind regards,