SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2017

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 22:07:55 -0600
Greetings,

I'm going to keep this "short" because I've just had 6hrs of things I've
tried that didn't work. It would take to long to list them all. :-)

I have a bunch of new SuperMicro servers. Installed 7.3 on it. Reboot
and it hangs at:
"Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)...ok"

And by hangs, I mean there is NO response out of anything. No Caps Lock
light on keyboard, nothing.

However, if I let it sit long enough it will boot (once one sat for an
hour before it continued on, most of the time it is closer to 30-40
minutes).

If I boot into rescue kernel, it instantly boots. Every time. This is so
puzzling to me.

If I wait and let it boot, then check 'systemd-analyze' it says my boot
time is sub 6 seconds (fancy new SSD's too!) and blame tells me that the
longest section to boot was 3 seconds on the networking. Well, that is
worthless because it just SAT THERE FOR THIRTY MINUTES!!! It obviously
starts recording time after the hang.

No matter the amount of logging I do or what debug mode I put it in, it
prints "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)...ok" then hangs, and
EVERYTHING after that has nothing to do whatsoever with the reason for
the hang.

I have disabled just about everything I can think of from various online
suggestions. I removed the quiet flag (duh) and I've turned off
intel_pthread's and power states and ACPI and nomodeset and loglevel=7
and blah blah blah blah. Seriously, my string of crap tacked on to the
grub prompt is getting rather absurd. (I boot into recovery, modify
/etc/default/grub and run grub2-mkconfig to set the grub prompt; I
checked and this is working to set the grub parameters).

Still same result. Recovery kernel boots, the other kernel hangs.

Fine. I will install a kernel from El Repo! I'll get a fancy new 4 kernel!

Yeah. That doesn't do squat either.

Want to know the thing most infuriating? A single box in the whole
batch, shows this problem once every 10 boots or so. I can't tell that
there is a stinking thing different. BIOS is exactly the same, configs,
install, packages, everything. *shrug*

Are there *any* suggestions at all as to how I can figure out what it is
hanging on? Is there a list of things after EDD that I can just start
disabling till I get a different result?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
~Stack~