SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2017

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2017 16:08:44 -0600
On 01/27/2017 01:42 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> As I noted, my system seems to have updated happily.  I started it from
> yumex by enabling the rolling repos.  But I've just been examining my
> grandson's, which yesterday 'welcomed' him to emergency mode. I'm afraid
> he doesn't fit the SL target user profile and his access time is limited.
>
> yum history shows 531 packages auto-updated two days ago, but clearly
> the process was interrupted and I'm not familiar with enabling net
> access on a broken system.  I'm hoping that I shall be able to use a 7.3
> installation disk to recover.
>
> John P

Just to clarify, did you enable the 7x or the actual rolling repo?  The
rolling repo is not meant for production use, but for testing packages
before posting them to the stable trees (i.e. 7.2, 7.3).  To stay on the
latest release, you want to use 7x, which is a symlink to the latest
stable branch.

-Mark