SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2017

From:
Lionel Guy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lionel Guy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2017 12:12:00 +0100
Dear SL users,

I have a strange error and don’t know where to start looking. Google didn’t help this time. It seems to be distro-specific so I try to get help here.

I’m running sl7.2, patched, updated, etc. with the latest kernel:

$ uname -a
Linux xxxx 3.10.0-514.6.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jan 17 11:12:41 CST 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have aliases defined in .sh files in my /etc/profile.d/ folder. When I log in on my computer directly in either KDE or Gnome, in any terminal (I tried Konsole, x-term and a few others), these aliases are not working (not set, I assume). Other commands in the same .sh files (like additions to $PATH) work fine.

When I log in with the same user through ssh, or directly on the computer on a text console (I don’t know how these are called: you access them through alt+ctrl+2 for example), or with another user in Gnome or KDE, the aliases work again.

I’m really puzzled. I tried to comment out all of my .bashrc file, log out and log in, to no avail.
My .bash_profile has just a standard . ~/.bashrc command:

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
. ~/.bashrc
fi

Any idea? I don’t even know where to start looking.

The error seemed to appear after the recent kernel upgrade (but I can’t really be sure that this is the event that triggered the error).

Best regards,

Lionel