SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2017

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2017 21:15:25 -0500
On 01/06/2017 05:46 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> People who tinker with these systems are not old school unix sysadmin
> heavyweights, there is no patience (no time) to learn complicated
> things like systemd or firewalld, no matter how well documented they are,
> if complexity stands between me and my tinkering, out it will go,
> let's see how quickly.

Well, to a rank newbie to these sorts of things, systemd and firewalld
are no more complicated than upstart with manual iptables rules or
SysVInit with ipchains rules (true SysVInit, not the upstart emulation
found in EL6).  Really; to the beginner systemd is not any more
complicated than the morass of rc files in /etc/init.d and friends.

--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer