SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2017

Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2017 21:37:05 -0500
On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 4:58 PM, jdow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 2017-01-02 07:26, Tom H wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 4:12 AM, jdow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The SYS5 stuff in 6.x and prior lacked flexibility, to be sure. It was
>>> simple enough that figuring out what was going on became easy. And
>>> where the documentation failed the workarounds were not all that
>>> difficult. But, then,the first 'ix I played with was one of the first
>>> commercial renditions of SVR4 - on the Amiga. So over about 25-ish
>>> years I'd learned it. I don't HAVE another 25 years to learn something
>>> with documentation that requires extreme google-fu to find. (I did
>>> manage to find a page that described /etc/sysconfig contents, FINALLY.
>>> I've been looking for that off and /on for 5 years or more.
>>

>> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-9.49.37/sysconfig.txt
>
> "man --index" is needed methinks.
>
>>> Pointers to that list in the documentation for RHEL tuned systemd
>>> would be a good thing.)
>>
>> It's not a systemd directory - and it's a directory that systemd
>> upstream dislikes.
>
> It is intimately involved with systemd as used on RHEL based systems.
> Cross references can tie it all together in a nice logical package
> with bows on it.

Indeed but it's provided by the initscripts package so it should be
the latter's responsibility to provide, for example, "man sysconfig"
but it never has. AFAIR, neither upstart in EL6 nor sysvinit in
previous EL versions referred to "/etc/sysconfig/" in their
documentation (just as they don't refer to "/etc/default/" on
Debian/Ubuntu).