SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2017

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2017 04:00:00 -0500
On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 5:19 PM, David Sommerseth
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 01/01/17 01:28, jdow wrote:
>> systemd sucks dead bunnies through garden hoses - chiefly due to nearly
>> totally absent documentation.
>
> Seriously?
>
> $ locate systemd | grep /usr/share/man/ | wc -l
> 145

Number of man pages is not the same as good documentation. Part of the
difficulty of documenting systemd is its sprawl into different systems
that have nothing to do with daemon management itself, including
logging, DHCP, network configuration, automounting, and more recently
trying to replace SELinux with "brilliant security changes!!!" such as
the ill-fated "KillUserProcess" tool that kills all background
processes when a user logs out and which breaks nohup, screen, and
tux.

> <https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/#manualsanddocumentationforusersandadministrators>
>

> I don't mind flame wars of controversial topics, but let it at least
> start with proper facts ... In my experience, systemd is far better
> documented than any other init system I've used over the last 15+ years
> or so.

daemontools was much lighter, much cleaner, and well documented. It
never took off due to some unfortunate copyright policies by its
author. It's too late to switch now, because of the integration of
more modern logging with systemd.