SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2017

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2017 13:47:51 +0100
On 02/01/17 12:51, jdow wrote:

> Systemd has a steep and long learning curve, it appears. So a good GUI
> manager for it might be helpful, especially if it had some graphical
> features as well as text representations. The old init stuff was easier
> for somebody not making a career of the whole thing. If I was paid to
> sysadmin I'd dig in more than I can now. Other things are more fun for
> somebody not quite retired.

I believe the Cockpit project [1] is a step in that direction.  There
are even some packages available in the EL7 repos already.  It depends
on systemd and D-Bus to function, and can be extended to manage anything
which uses the the D-Bus.  Plus you can manage multiple servers via the
same interface.

[1] <http://cockpit-project.org/>

A few presentations on Cockpit can be found on youtube as well, like
these ones:

Cockpit: What's New and What's Next (Feb 2016)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdm4rsnVobw>

Cockpit:  Modern Server User Interface (Feb 2015)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97l1qf2sZtk

Towards the end of Januar, another devconf.cz [2] conference is
happening, and there might be yet another presentation on Cockpit, in
addition to probably also some systemd related ones.

[2] <https://devconf.cz/>

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth