SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2016

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2016 17:38:28 +1100
On 31/12/16 17:12, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> I'd suggest learning bash first. Many complex perl, python, php, etc.
> tools are actually wrappers for a few lines of shell.

Yeah, I was going to suggest this too..... Your biggest thing will be
shell scripts - they hold everything together.

There's not much that you can't do in bash - but there are a lot more
things that are much more complex / dedicated that you'd be better off
in a language like perl.

The big thing is learning how to think in logical steps. When to use if,
for, while etc etc. Once you've got a grip on the basics, the only real
difference between languages is what specific formatting you give to the
options to keep its compiler happy.

bash is something you'll use every day - so its probably easy to deal
with from the start.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]