SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2016

Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2016 08:59:36 +0100
Hello,

Saw this discussion and found it interesting, got a somewhat half on
topic question. I've been trying to decide on a language to learn,
python and perl both stood out. There seems to be various discussions of
why one is better than the other, and the pro's and con's of both. From
what I've seen perl has been around longer than python and there are
plenty of places to ask for help and lots of perl modules to use in your
code. Python on the other hand seems newer, also has modules(probably
less than perl), and has quite bit of community around too. However
lately I've been seeing that there are more python projects than perl,
making me think python might be the better one to go for. So I am more
wondering what peoples opinions on this mailing list are when it comes
to python or perl, that way I can consider the opinion of people who
have been programming for a while before I make a decision to what I am
going to do ;)