SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2016

Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2016 12:18:07 -0400
On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 9:21 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There's been a big thread over in the Fedora mailing lists about how
> software updates break active Gnome sessions, and the workarounds are
> fundamentally crazed. I encourage you and other developers and
> desktop users to avoid using a feature filled toolkit that actively
> hinders day to day work through its unnecessary complexity.

It's not just Gnome; it's all DE sessions, and, AIUI, possibly all X sessions.

They've been a number of threads over the last few year in Fedora-land
where developers have advised not to upgrade a system from a terminal
within a DE.

The workaround isn't a workaround, it's the developers who are putting
the distribution together informing the distribution's users that the
proper way to upgrade a system is to use the GUI tool, which'll
download the required rpms, reboot to a minimal X-less (I assume)
session, installl the rpms, and reboot, or to use a set of equivalent
pkcon commands.

There was even a thread in the last six months or the last year (I
can't remember) where someone asked why there were two reboots and the
answer was that going to a minimal session from a DE session wouldn't
necessarily guarantee a clean minimal session for the upgrade.

On my laptop, for years, I've been downloading rpms or debs while
running X, exiting my WM or logging out of my WM or DE and stopping my
DM, stopping any network services, and installing the new packages. So
the new procedure doen't look that crazed.