SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2016

Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2016 11:47:13 -0400
On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 3:43 AM, Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Last week, a leader of the Gnome project spoke to our
> local Linux user's group. He had a new Lenovo laptop
> running Gnome 3 with the Wayland replacement for X. He
> could NOT get his HDMI port working with our projector;
> that's the first time we've had that problem in years.

Why was this Gnome's fault?

It looks more likely that Wayland's at fault.

The guy's using an experimental replacement of X and something didn't
work. No big deal; except that maybe he should've had a second,
less-bleeding-edge install on his laptop, for emergencies like this
one.

We should be grateful that there are people willing to experiment with
Wayland and help make stable enough for the rest of us.

> I offered my ancient SL6/Gnome2 laptop, but he demurred
> and went without slides. It seems that the Gnomesters
> are building another incompatible tool, this one to
> replace LibreOffice Impress.

The Gnome developers have macOS envy and Apple ships a
Powerpoint/Impress replacement called Keynote. So if Gnome wants to
ship a full OS with - presumably - simpler LibreOffice replacements,
why not?

I'm not a Gnome user but if this new app can be installed without
pulling most of Gnome (I doubt it but we'll see), I'll install it
rather than install LibreOffice for the very rare times that I need
Impress.