SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2016

From:
Davide Poletto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Davide Poletto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Oct 2016 11:58:49 +0200
Hi Yasha,

Yes, I think USA ISPs are not so different from European ISPs even if,
actually, USB Dongles are, in Europe, more and more rare...they exists
as a sort of (problematic) legacy of the 3G/3.5G era pre-4G/LTE: ISPs
tend now to provide 4G/LTE Routers with embedded WiFi only (sometime
limiting the number of devices concurrently connected to the WiFi
pre-configured SSID)...no more troubles with OS drivers.

I really hope that the "Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45" statement's meaning -
in USA - looks exactly the same that has here in the old Europe!

What exactly other IEEE 802.3 capabilities [**] you're looking for?

AFAIK that device is (and I made just an example) a 4G/LTE Home Spot
Router provided with - that is *not so usual* - one RJ-45 LAN
Interface (the device supports IPv4 and performs NAT between the ISP
WAN side and its LAN wired/wireless sides) and - that *is usual* - one
WiFi LAN interface.

Yeah...I know that datasheet [*] isn't *so technical* as we would
expect...they (ZyXEL) were lazy in documenting features and hardware
characteristics by using appropriate technical terms we're used to
(terms that their average user - which is probably their real
marketing target - was not used to)...so simply writing "Gigabit
Ethernet RJ45" has a higher consumer "value" than correctly writing
IEEE 802.3ab support (or whatever).

Before 4G/LTE Routers become a reality (those ones that require only
the 4G/LTE SIM and nothing more) sometime I used Firewalls supporting
3G/3.5G/4G USB Dongles but was a sort of nightmare because the
Firewall Firmware needed to support exact USB Dongle models (so, each
time, you have to verify if a particular unbranded USB Dongle was
supported or not for your particular Firmware version).

I know that this is completely Off Topic with regard to *any* Linux
distribution...

Hope this help!

[*] Datasheet here:
ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/LTE4506-M606/datasheet/LTE4506-M606_3.pdf
[**] User Guide here:
ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/LTE4506-M606/user_guide/LTE4506-M606_V1.0.pdf