SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2016

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2016 10:07:51 -0700
I fully understand that this is an EL list.  The laptop of a retired
colleague failed.  On that laptop, I had installed SL pre 7 because the
machine was not adequately provisioned for 64 bit operation.  A mutual
friend donated to this colleague a Lenovo ThinkPad  R400 series (in much
better physical condition than her failed laptop); he is a computer
enthusiast enduser with no computer science or professional IT
background.  The machine has Mint on it.  The colleague did not like the
default Mint desktop -- I have installed Mate that is similar to what
she is accustomed.  Is there anyone on this list who has to maintain or
use a Mint environment? (I understand that Mint is a Debian/Ubuntu
family Linux.)  If so, a private response would be most appreciated.

I have joined the Mint Forums (sic) but much of the discussion there
seems more what I expect from enthusiasts/end-users, not professionals.
At some time in the future, I may transition the machine to SL 7, but
she cannot afford the downtime now and thus will continue with Mint.
She needs particular versions of MS Office applications, and thus I have
configured both CrossOver (commercial, supported, Wine) as well as
VirtualBox -- however, she uses Linux Thunderbird (IMAP) for email and
Linux Firefox as her default web browser,  not a MS environment or
application.

Yasha Karant