SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2016

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2016 21:22:45 -0400
Jdow,

Why are you looking at that‎ for root kit prevention?
It's a very old fashion approach, I would use the RPM's verify  command or one of the many filesystem  check sum tools available for that instead.
Either one can tell you if ‎any critical binaries or libraries have been compromised very easily and there are even tools built around them to do it on a network wide level.
Further more if you really want to make your systems resistant to root kits, readonly mount of / and /usr‎ is still your best bet, even Red Hat products like RHEV use that method on appliances.