SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2016

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2016 21:56:53 -0700
On 08/01/2016 06:24 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 31 July 2016 at 23:31, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On 07/30/2016 11:36 PM, Jon Brinkmann wrote:
>>> Does 'nmap -sX <address-range>' fit the bill, e.g.
>>> 'nmap -sX 192.168.1.1-255'?
>>
>> Only one the one network (192.168.1.0/25 in your  example).
>>
>> I want EVERYTHING on the network
>>
> Todd,
>
> 1) You asked for help and you are acting like a child demanding more
> candy when you didn't get the flavor you wanted.

Hi Stephen,

I am trying to find a replacement for an important tool I use
on a frequent basis.   I have been very clear about what
I am after.

If you do not understand what I am after, please just ask me instead
of insulting me.

> 2) nmap is a very complicated swiss army knife tool. There are
> hundreds of things it can do but you need to take some time to figure
> them out and get what you want. Expecting that you will get the answer
> handed to you is being unreasonable.
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nmap+tutorial

I use nmap ALL THE TIME.  If you know the "network" involved, it
is an awesome tool.  But, if you are looking for stray or misconfigured
devices with a different network on the same interface, they will be
dark to nmap.  In this scenario, the only tool I have found that
can do this is Autoscan.

> 3) what you are wanting is actually a multi step process. First you
> need to see what mac addresses are on the network which usually only a
> smart switch can tell you.

Autoscan does.  But for how much longer ...

> You can sort of get the data with a
> mac-ping but it isn't guarenteed to work. After you get all the mac
> addresses on the network then you can work out what ip addresses or
> hardware those mac addresses think they are. Again easier with a smart
> switch.

Hopefully, I do not have to go that route.  This can be done from software,
as Autoscan demonstrates.

I may have to keep a copy of SL7.2 and FC23 around for years just to
run Autoscan.  Oh well, what is a one more flash drive to add to the pile
I already have.

Tip: keep a dd copy of your flash drive.  Windows machines tend to eat them.

"mac-ping".  That sounds interesting.

I should put Autoscan on Wireshark and find out exactly what it does.

Thank you for helping me with this, except for the insults

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.