SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2016

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2016 10:19:37 -0400
On 07/30/2016 06:35 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> I am looking to do network discovery.  Basically, everything
> on the interface, regardless of what network it belongs to
> or if even has an ip assigned.  Like AutoScan Network, only
> not abandoned.

I have a dedicated install of NetworkSecurityToolkit (NST) on a box
connected to two ports on one of our core switches.  One port is the
admin port that NST serves its web GUI on; the second port is a
capture-only port and connects to a SPAN port on the core switch (Cisco
terminology, as it's a Cisco 7609).  I set up the SPAN to redirect
traffic for the ports and/or VLANs I'm interested in looking at, and
then capture all the traffic (I capture all traffic then filter it
out).  Not as clean as some other solutions, but it does get everything.