SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2016

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2016 23:14:34 +1000
On 05/08/16 22:59, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 05/08/16 09:07, Yura Beznos wrote:
>> Yeah, thank you, it is very nice!
>>
>> But what about sl(7.2) extras ? Why it is so old?
>> Every other rh based distro got newer packages with docker/kubernetes!
>
> With every Enterprise Linux distribution, you must NOT look blindly on
> the version number.  Enterprise Linux vendors hire a lot of people to
> maintain, test and ensure that all needed features (within reasonable
> limits) shipped have a certain quality and stability.
>
> One of my best examples over all the years are actually dating back to
> RHEL 5.  The latest kernel package there is named 2.6.18-410.el5.  The
> interesting part is that RHEL 5 supports the KVM module, but that module
> was first introduced into the 2.6.20+ versions.  So despite the kernel
> being shipped in RHEL 5 carrying on old version number it doesn't mean
> it doesn't support newer features.
>
> All this is only possible through the work of the upstream Enterprise
> Linux distributor (for SL, that means Red Hat).  And Red Hat does a lot
> of backports of features found in many packages to older versions they
> ship in RHEL.

Oh god - the amount of times I've had this discussion with people over
the years who think ZOMG its version n-1!!!

It takes a while to figure out how this stuff works with real linux vs
the hobby distributions - and I'm still seeing stuff fixed in RHEL
packages that aren't even fixed in upstream versions (even though the
version number is newer!).

One such problem I'm currently working with RH on fixing is IPv6 PD
requests over PPPoE connections using dhclient. We've found the root
cause, and now a fix is being investigated. This still doesn't work with
the ISC version - even though its a newer version number.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: https://www.crc.id.au