SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2016

From:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2016 07:39:27 +0100
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016, P. Larry Nelson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please don't shoot the questioner (me), as I have no experience with
> Python, other than knowing "what" it is and that my SL6.8 systems have
> version 2.6.6 installed.
>
> I have been asked by one of our Professors that one of his grad students
> apparently needs Python 2.7.x installed on our cluster (optimally in
> /usr/local, which is an NFS mounted dir everywhere).

> If the solution is indeed simple, I might proceed, otherwise, I'm
> of a tendency to reply to the Professor and student, "No way - won't work."
> I think the student probably has access to CERN systems that probably
> have what he's looking for.

I see that Larry's requirement may have gone away, but for others
with the same request:

The slc6-scl "Software Collections Library" repo has a suite of packages
python27-* which can be installed alongside the system python 2.6.

They also have python33-* although those who want python3 may
want bleeding edge which is, IIRC, 3.4.something.
(Hmm bleeding edge is 3.6.0a3, latest is 3.5.2).