SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2016

From:
Bruce Ferrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Ferrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2016 18:55:46 -0700
Larry,

the thing about the python ecosystem is that it holds to a philosophy of  "backwards compatibility my A**! we told we're gonna break it and we did! We have a new, shiny idea and
it's better. recode your already working stuff".  Not acceptable in my mind, but to each their own.

There can be  (often are) system utilities that depend on a particular version.  They tend to NOT call out version dependencies and it's quite nasty to find them broken...
Especially if you don't use them often.  I know, I did this a few times before I ran with some python-istas for a while.

What your rpm check told you is all the python packages on the system... Which doesn't tell which one depend on the python version and won't.

What your student will almost certainly run into, unless they are python experts, is their code will grab system python packages and break their code or have unexpected behaviors.

because you mention this is on a cluster, my number one suggestion (give them a VM), likely won't fly.

number two, is a /usr/local/bin of the needed version and tell them if they break the cluster (system packages) for the other users, You'll hand them over to the pitchforks and
torches crowd.  Not nice, but fun.

My condolences