SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2016

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2016 17:57:38 -0400
On 07/28/2016 01:44 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> I was updating an application on my SL7.1 laptop workstation, not
> using a terminal screen yum but the GUI interface that automagically
> appears after "clicking" on the downloaded RPM in the web browser
> download window.  Unfortunately, the ISP network failed during the
> update (that evidently downloaded other RPMs required).  The update
> did not appear to be re-entrant recoverable. ...
yum-complete-transaction may have saved you a whole lot of work. It's in
the 'yum-utils' package and it attempts to re-enter and complete the yum
transaction.  The yum database is semi-atomic and has a transactional
characteristic.

Yum and the GUI updaters are all supposed to download everything before
updating anything, but depending upon exactly which RPM installer you
were using it may have behaved differently.