SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2016

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2016 12:20:08 -0700
On 07/28/2016 11:33 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 28/07/16 18:44, Yasha Karant wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Several observations, questions -- all pertaining to SL 7.2 / mate (if a
>> KDE, etc., application/interface works under mate, such qualify as
>> "mate").
>>
>> Q1 I previously had gpk-application as the primary software GUI
>> installer.  This has been replaced by gnome-software that appears quite
>> different.
>>
>> Q1.1 Is there a GUI application that will list all installed RPMs
>> (obviously, this does not work for packages installed/built other than
>> through the RPM methodology)?
>>
>> Q1.2  Is there a GUI means to select software sources (repositories) to
>> enable/disable these at will?
>>
>> Q1.3 Other than a web search for an application RPM followed by the
>> command line yum install, is there a GUI application other than
>> gnome-software to list all available applications from all
>> selected/installed repositories?
>>
>> Q2  How does yumex work in 7.2 -- the same as in 7 previous?
>
> For me, with a single-box, single-HD 7.2 KDE plasma installation, it
> does Q1.1, Q1.2, Q1.3 competently with a slower but much friendlier
> response than the command-line; but you will probably need to have
> that in reserve.

What is the name (file name and RPM) of the KDE application that you are
using?  Presumably, if I login using KDE Plasma, I would find this (I
also specify SL to install KDE) and could track down the actual name of
the file (via ps axw in any event).  Mate runs KDE applications (as did
and presumably does gnome).  I use k3b as my preferred CD/DVD burning
application now that Nero Linux does no longer seem to work under SL
(stopped with the upgrade to SL 7).