SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2016

From:
"Devin A. Bougie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Devin A. Bougie
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2016 15:46:22 +0000
Hi Andrew,

> On Jul 27, 2016, at 10:25 PM, Andrew Z <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> And why do I want this?

Maybe you don't =).  Just incase it helps, I'll try to elaborate on the two main features we mentioned.

1.  We needed to lock desktops without hiding the graphical applications / displays that are running on that desktop.  Even though the screen is locked, the desktop and whatever applications are running remain visible and keep updating.
2.  We needed to allow a group of users (rather than just the user that happened to be logged in graphically) to unlock the screen.  The screen can be configured to be unlocked by any set of users or groups recognized by the OS.   They use their own username and password, so there's no need to share passwords.  This is useful for us in operations where graphical applications and screens need to remain running through shifts, need to be locked when not actively used, and need to be unlock-able by whoever the current operator is.

Any more comments or questions are always welcome.

Thanks!
Devin