SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2016

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2016 05:56:41 -0500
Greetings,

On 07/14/2016 07:55 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> Are there any tablets in the Apple iPad price range that run SL 7?
> If not SL 7, other distros (say, Ubuntu "enterprise")?

I can say from personal experience that the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 runs
Ubuntu 16.04 really well. The Surface Pro 3 also works but is a bit
rougher (had some issues with the keyboard that took a while to fix;
wasn't working out of box. Also, the screen resolution is so high that
it made touching difficult to be precise). It wasn't a hard install at
all. Just disable UEFI and select traditional BIOS then you are good to go.

I also know that Johnny Hughes over at the CentOS team has done a ton of
work cramming CentOS 7 on a bunch of ARM devices. He may have a lead for
you on a tablet.

> Would such tablets also run VirtualBox or VMWare Player to allow the
> use of MS Win as a guest environment?

The Surface Pro certainly would. It has quite a bit of power. Not sure
about the low-end ARM processors though.

> How much RAM and mass storage should be procured?

I hate to sound like a marketer for the Surface Pro...However, the one I
had was 8GB of RAM w/ a 256GB SSD. Should be plenty I would suspect.

> The unit would need both USB ports as well as 802.11 support
> supported drivers under Linux for Network Manager, her WLAN
> application of choice).

You get wifi and one USB on the Surface Pro. There is a dock which
worked perfect under Ubuntu 16.04 for the Pro2, but I had issues with it
crashing on the Pro3. I know there were improvements made to the support
of the Surface Pro since I tested, but I no longer have the devices so
my testing is all a single point in time back in March-April with 16.04
pre and initial release.

Hope that helps. Good luck. And I would love to hear if you find one!

~Stack~