SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2016

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:55:34 -0700
My wife has been elected Chair of the Faculty Senate at our university.
As such, the Administration is willing to buy her an Apple iPad or
equivalent.  My understanding is that the iPad platform will not run any
Linux environment, and she does not want to "relearn" everything.  That
is, she wants Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Mozilla Thunderbird, MATE
(or a close equivalent), LibreOffice, galculator, etc.  My understanding
also is that non-Apple tablets will run Linux and thus should support
the environment to which she is accustomed.  Are there any tablets in
the Apple iPad price range that run SL 7?  If not SL 7, other distros
(say, Ubuntu "enterprise")?  Would such tablets also run VirtualBox or
VMWare Player to allow the use of MS Win as a guest environment?  How
much RAM and mass storage should be procured? The unit would need both
USB ports as well as 802.11 support (supported drivers under Linux for
Network Manager, her WLAN application of choice).

Any recommendations or observations would be appreciated.

Yasha Karant