SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2016

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2016 07:12:07 -0400
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 6 June 2016 at 13:00, Rupert Kolb <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> are there any updates for samba4 ?
>> At the moment in the repo is:
>> samba4-4.2.10-6.el6_7.x86_64  from 13th of april.

Those are some add-on libraries for depencencies of other software.
They're not a full Samba 4.x.

>> At download.samba.org is a updated version samba-4.2.12 from 2016-05-02 (one
>> month ago!)
>>
>> As there are some bugs in 4.2.10, which seem to be solved in 4.2.12 (for
>> instance: 'wbinfo -u' returns no users), I'm really interested in the
>> updated version !!!
>>

> You seem unfamiliar with how Scientific Linux ships software which is
> causing you some confusion. Scientific Linux (SL) is built from the
> git source code that Red Hat puts out for its Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
> Red Hat does periodic updates to its software on a scale of 1 to 2
> times a year but these upgrades may only backport fixes to the current
> release number or may do a complete upgrade. [When a RHEL release
> moves from various production stages which RHEL-6 just did, they only
> backport major fixes.]

And there's my work over at https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo. I
gave up backporting Samba 4 to RHEL 6 or SL 6 a while ago, the
dependencies have gotten out of hand. But my tools provide a full
domain controller. The RHEL upstream packages, even for RHEL 7 or for
Fedora 23, refuse to do this because the funky "heimdal" library they
use for Kerberos is incompatible with the base MIT Kerberos  built
into and relied on by Samba domain controllers. So you can't just turn
on the setting in the .spec file, because the option is not being
tested with the samba RPM updtes.

So, I wrote that repo and the wrappers in it.

> So if you need SL to ship samba4-4.2.12 then you need to check to see
> if there are existing bugs on the issues you need fixed in
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com and also test out whenever RHEL-6.9beta
> comes out to see if the bug was backported to it. Otherwise you may
> need to look at Scientific Linux 7 and if it is fixed/updated in SL7.3

Not gonna happen for RHEL 6. The base Samba 3.x in RHEL 6 and SL 6
fairly good,and you'll need to update to RHEL 7 or SL 7 to get a
really up-to-date Samba release with full domain controller
replacement working.