SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2016

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2016 02:37:08 +0200
On 24/06/16 16:48, Ken Teh wrote:
> I was trying to set up dnsmasq and discovered it's already running.
> Apparently as part of libvirt.  Why is libvirt started?  What starts it?
>
> I tried looking through systemd output but the only thing about systemd
> that I can understand are its services.  Everything else is so far
> gobbledy-gook.

libvirtd starts by default a virtual closed network (which is NATed) for
VMs.  This is usually assigned an IP range in the 192.168.200.0/24
range, IIRC.  And it is only available for VMs running on the box,
started and configured by libvirt.  And libvirtd uses dnsmasq for these
services.

To stop it, run these commands as root:

# virsh
virsh # net-list --all
 Name                 State      Autostart     Persistent
 default              inactive   no            yes

virsh # net-destroy default
Network default destroyed

virsh #

'destroy' sounds harsh and brutal, but in libvirt lingo, it means "stop
running".

To make this permanent, run this command in virsh

virsh # net-autostart default --disable
Network default unmarked as autostarted
virsh #

That's it.