SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2016

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2016 10:12:26 -0500
On 06/24/2016 09:48 AM, Ken Teh wrote:
> I was trying to set up dnsmasq and discovered it's already running.
> Apparently as part of libvirt.  Why is libvirt started?  What starts it?
>
> I tried looking through systemd output but the only thing about systemd
> that I can understand are its services.  Everything else is so far
> gobbledy-gook.

I ran into this recently on my Fedora laptop.  It was quite
annoying/frustrating to find out about this default configuration.  I
issued a 'systemctl stop libvirtd' and 'systemctl disable libvirtd' to
disable it.  It is used for the virtualization system, which relies on
dnsmasq for the virtual lan these days...  It uses an alternate
configuration file than the normal /etc/dnsmasq.d/ files or wherever
they live these days.  Aft4r that, I as able to configure it as I
normally do and start it using 'systemctl start dnsmasq'.

If you rely on it for virtualization, you probably have to go fiddle
with libvirtd's alternate dnsmasq config files to add the options you
need for other purposes.  This wasn't the case for me.