SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2016

Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:38:50 -0400
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On 15 Jun 2016, at 13:33, Tom H <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> For a journaled filesystem, if you have access to a Mac, you can
>> disable the journal before using the disk on SL 7.
>
> Just to make things interesting Apple plans to move to a new
> filesystem, APFS.

Thanks. Apple's been talking about a new fs since releasing OS X, if
not before that.

It's about time that they stopped grafting features onto hfs and wrote
something from scratch. I hope that they've chosen an open license for
apfs.

(They intended to switch to zfs and even had developer previews in
2008/2009 and a "new feature" page but they killed the whole thing
shortly before Sun was bought. I've always assumed that it was because
they were worried about Oracle but there may have been a purely
technical rationale...)