SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2016

From:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2016 08:10:46 +0000

> On 14 Jun 2016, at 21:14, David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> That should be supported out-of-the box on most of the OSes you work with.  I generally have had no interoperability issues with vfat for many years.

I format flash drives with MBR and ExFAT (Windows 8/8.1/10 doesn't seem to like the GPT partitions that OS X creates). ExFAT handles very large files. The only problem is that Microsoft has patents for ExFAT so on Linux you tend to have to install something to support it.

If your target is Linux and you don't want to install ExFAT support then OS X has tar and split to make your large files fit onto FAT.

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland, No. SC013532.