SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2016

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2016 11:16:22 -0700
On 06/14/2016 03:09 AM, David Sommerseth wrote:

>> On 06/11/2016 12:12 PM, Joseph Areeda wrote:
>>> Hi Todd,
>>>
>>>   • I can give this a try for you I'm a little confused. Pretty sure
>>> the partition tables are fine but I don't think you can use the Apple
>>> file system, Mac OS X extended.
>>>
>>>   The  FAT or EX FAT file system are compatible, I use them often.
>>>
>>>   Let me know exactly what you want me to try I have a Mac running
>>> Yosemite with an SL 7 VM so it's easy.
>>>   best,
>>>   Joe
>> Hi Jose,
>>
>> I was looking for something that would allow for large file
>> transfer between MAC and Linux.  Apple is too busy poking
>> M$ in the eye and and complete on who can be the most
>> proprietary to support write on NTFS
>>
> Pardon my ignorance ... but this sounds like a discussion about apples
> which doesn't taste like oranges and having a banana shape.
>
> To my knowledge GPT (which the subject and initial mail asks about) is
> the new partitioning format supported on EFI based hardware [1].  The
> partitioning is about how you "configure" and allocate the available
> space on a storage unit.  Partitioning is usually quite ignorant to what
> file systems being used.  I have also never heard about GPT file systems
> (but I might just be uneducated)
>
> [1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table>
>
> FAT, exFAT, VFAT, NTFS, EXT4, XFS, HFS+, etc, etc are file systems [2],
> which defines how data are organized on a partition (or directly on a
> storage unit without a partition table).
>
> [2] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system>
>
> AFAIK, SL7 supports the GPT partition tables, as well as the old MBR
> based formatting scheme [3].
>
> [3] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record>
>
> To my knowledge, OSX supports at least some of the FAT based file
> systems, which is also supported on SL7.  Otherwise, you might have some
> luck to get more supported file systems on OSX using "FUSE of OS X" [4].
>   (Disclaimer: I don't own any Apple products)
>
> [4] <https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki>
>

> --
> kind regards,
>
> David Sommerseth

Hi David,

I should have said GPT partition with HFS+ format.

I am basically looking for a shared format that will
accommodate large file transfers.

And OSx doesn't support NTFS write.  The fuse is a paid
service and I would not want to install it on every Apple
I see, even if there is a 14 day trial.  NTFS-3G is supported,
but I can't find a download for MAC for my life.  (They point
you to the paid version.)

I don't have an Apple either. Apple does not allow you to
use a virtual machine of OSx, unless the base system is
Apple hardware (not going to happen).

I am seeing a lot more Apple computers out there since
the advent of Frankenstein and Sons (Windows 8 and Nein,
oops, 10).  I personally find OSx to be excruciatingly weird,
but I need to eat, so I will work on anything folks are willing
to pay for.  (I make a lot of money off M$'s endless quality,
security, and reliability issues.)

I prefer to work on Linux, but most of my customer's are small
business and they need their Windows to run their apps.
I have a few Linux server and workstations out there.
And, my shop is Linux.  (I just don't have the patience to
fight with Windows on my own system after fighting with
it all day on my customer's machines.)

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.