SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2016

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2016 12:09:43 +0200
On 14/06/16 00:15, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> On 6/10/16 2:20 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if SL 7.x will read and write to and Apple
>>> OSx's (GPT) formatted flash drives?
>>>
>>> I know I can manipulate the partitions with gdisk.
>>>
>>> I don't have a MAC kicking around to just look for myself.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>>

> On 06/11/2016 12:12 PM, Joseph Areeda wrote:
>> Hi Todd,
>>
>>  • I can give this a try for you I'm a little confused. Pretty sure
>> the partition tables are fine but I don't think you can use the Apple
>> file system, Mac OS X extended.
>>
>>  The  FAT or EX FAT file system are compatible, I use them often.
>>
>>  Let me know exactly what you want me to try I have a Mac running
>> Yosemite with an SL 7 VM so it's easy.
>>  best,
>>  Joe
>
> Hi Jose,
>
> I was looking for something that would allow for large file
> transfer between MAC and Linux.  Apple is too busy poking
> M$ in the eye and and complete on who can be the most
> proprietary to support write on NTFS

Pardon my ignorance ... but this sounds like a discussion about apples
which doesn't taste like oranges and having a banana shape.

To my knowledge GPT (which the subject and initial mail asks about) is
the new partitioning format supported on EFI based hardware [1].  The
partitioning is about how you "configure" and allocate the available
space on a storage unit.  Partitioning is usually quite ignorant to what
file systems being used.  I have also never heard about GPT file systems
(but I might just be uneducated)

[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table>

FAT, exFAT, VFAT, NTFS, EXT4, XFS, HFS+, etc, etc are file systems [2],
which defines how data are organized on a partition (or directly on a
storage unit without a partition table).

[2] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system>

AFAIK, SL7 supports the GPT partition tables, as well as the old MBR
based formatting scheme [3].

[3] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record>

To my knowledge, OSX supports at least some of the FAT based file
systems, which is also supported on SL7.  Otherwise, you might have some
luck to get more supported file systems on OSX using "FUSE of OS X" [4].
 (Disclaimer: I don't own any Apple products)

[4] <https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki>

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth