SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2016

From:
"Alec T. Habig" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec T. Habig
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2016 11:38:54 -0500
Patrick J. LoPresti writes:
> How did you wind up with rsize/wsize of 8K? The default on Linux has
> been 1 megabyte for a long time.

Hmm.  I've (independently from the original poster) got the 8k sizes:
with the network set up for jumbo frames (MTU=9000) the nfs server then
chunks out network packets that get through the switches with minimal
overhead.  Making this change from the default (1k, MTU=1500) made a
huge throughput difference at the time we implemented it: which was a
number of years ago, so certainly the world has changed since then.

How do 1MB sized nfs chunks interact with the networking?

--
			       Alec Habig
		     University of Minnesota Duluth