SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2016

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2016 11:50:32 -0700
Would someone please remind me how to do the following.

The current SL 7.2 DVD does not have an upgrade in place choice (only
from a SL 7.x system; EL does not support upgrade between different
major releases).  I recall that someone explained that one can treat the
DVD as an upgrade repository, point yum or some other utility (possibly
a GUI) to the (mounted?) DVD, and then an ungrade in place without
considering the process a new install (e.g., requesting time zone, etc.)
will automagically happen.

Interestingly, the offer of a "free" MS Win 10 upgrade from MS Win 7
(Pro to Pro as it turns out) worked flawlessly -- all of the proprietary
installed applications under MS Win 7 are now under MS Win 7 with no
games involved (no re-licensing, etc.).  This was done under VMWare
Player under a SL 7.1 host (not VirtualBox only because the recent
VirtualBox releases do not properly attach a proprietary USB-connected
device with a proprietary MS Win application that I need, but that does
work under VMWare Player -- no funds for a VMWare Workstation license).
Thus, it appears that unlike SL, MS Win under some circumstances will
permit a major release upgrade (I did not have to go through MS Win 8 as
MS Win 8 was unsatisfactory for my needs, but MS Win 10 allows, as does
MATE for Linux, the use of the older GUI method).  The only small glitch
was a document VMWare Player issue; to get to the shared folders with
the Linux host, after the full install of MS Win 10, the VMWare tools
(drivers into MS Win) need to be removed and then fully reinstalled.

Yasha Karant