SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2016

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2016 10:05:54 -0400
On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Konstantin Olchanski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

[ much snipped ]

I owe Konstantin an apology. I read things into his directions that
were not there, especially concerning customized kernels (which he did
not suggest) I still don't like the autoupdate tool because it's not
in the main SL codeline, nor in RHEL's main codeline, but that's not
his fault in any way.

>> You've also improved the instructions to use standard repos rather
>> than private repository URL's, that's a good move. Thank you.
>>

> No, there were no changes to my instructions since I originally posted
> the link to this list.

And this is the sort of thing I was reading in mistakenly. Konstantin,
I do apologize. It's been a hard week personally for me for other
reasons, and I gave you a full blast of ranting which you did not
deserve.

> (no, I do not expect to see a message from Nico about doctoring wiki history databases).

Which I certainly do not think you did. I'm sorry I left you with that
impression about *my* behavior.

>> More checking shows that the "yum-kernel-module" ...
>> I've no idea why you think it's still needed. Perhaps you could
>> explain?
>
> Yes. Please do some more checking. It is an explicit dependancy to the yum-autoupdate
> rpm package. Why? Ask the authors, not me, I did not do any of it.

I'm not sure why the Cern repository you pointed to bothers to include
the tool. It's been discarded in the upstream RHEL 7, and is not
available in the public RHEL 7 source repositories at git.centos.org.

We could talk about PackageKit and its overlap with the older
funcationality of the autoupdate tools some time, preferably in a
separate thread.