SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2016

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2016 10:25:15 -0700
There were two more postings by me with suffix [2] and then [3] pursuant
to the situation with SL7.2 Live on this particular platform, including
the Ubuntu description of the hardware.
As far as I can tell, all of the important hardware (harddrive and
controller, DVD reader/burner, WNIC, NIC, pointing device,
video//graphics card, sound card, CPU including FPU and MMU, and USB
devices) are linux supported, including in SL 7.  Have I missed
something?  The BIOS are "secure boot", but that is a standard issue on
current X86-64 hardware and "secure boot" (read, proprietary closed
source vendor controlling) can be disabled for "legacy boot".  The issue
that causes the dracut complaint is a missing file image on the RAMFS
that a non-installed (e.g., live) system uses.  The Ubuntu test was with
a USB flash drive -- would that make a difference?

As far as the older text-based installer, I fully concur with the
respondent below.  A text based installer should at least be an option
-- it worked much better.  However, the live non-installed system
supposedly will not use the installer.  (I point out that the only
enterprise competitor to EL is SLES, and SLES is much more GUI and
automated than previous EL versions and also -- from direct experience
-- is neither easy to configure nor properly supported except for large
commercial-style configurations.  There also is no equivalent to this
professional email list serve for any SuSE product to which I had even
licensed access.)

I understand that Ubuntu is not as stable as EL (although Ubuntu
advertises support and at least at one point claimed that it could be
used for production deployments -- something one dare not do with
unstable non-hardened systems) -- but is the issue here simply one of
the kernel and drivers?  Red Hat does certify EL 7 for laptops
(
https://access.redhat.com/ecosystem/search/#/category/Laptop?sort=sortTitle%20asc&certifications=Red%20Hat%20Enterprise%20Linux%207&ecosystem=Red%20Hat%20Enterprise%20Linux
),
but all I could find for EL 7 were products from Lenovo.   Lenovo is not
that conservative in hardware, and certainly competes with both HP and Dell.

Other than stating that EL 7 will not work, are there any other suggestions?

Yasha Karant