SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2016

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2016 08:29:43 -0700
On 04/08/2016 09:55 PM, S. Tindall wrote:
> On 04/08/2016 09:16 PM, Bill Maidment wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>> I installed (yum groupinstall mate-desktop) on SL 7.2 and I can
>> select MATE using the icon next to the "Sign In" button on the
>> password entry screen.
>> It seems to remember what your last selection was, too.
>> Cheers
>> Bill
>
> Thanks Bill!
>
> You are absolutely correct. Switched back to GDM and the MATE
> selection was exactly where you said it would be.
>
> Before, I looked everywhere for a desktop selection at login, but
> never thought to look again after selecting my username. I don't
> recall having to select MATE from a login list after installing under
> 7.1.
>
> Steve
I have not investigated the actual "name" of the
application/applet/whatever that provides the default login screen to a
SL 7 GUI environment (by "default", I mean that after an installation
using the GUI installer for SL 7, this is the screen that appears for
login).  Unlike on OpenSUSE, what ever this is works fine with MATE as
installed from the EPEL repo.

There is a small "gear" icon on screen.  Using that icon, one gets a
list (e.g., Gnome, KDE, ... ) upon which is listed MATE after the MATE
installation.  No "fiddling" was required to change the default login
GUI application (unlike my experience with OpenSUSE under which I did
need to change the equivalent application to one that "supported" the
OpenSUSE port of  MATE.

For those who do not like either the current Gnome or KDE (both of which
seem to have the aroma of MS Win 8 desktop or MacOS X desktop, perhaps
with a bit of the Android desktop as well), are there fully provisioned
alternatives to MATE?  The previous Gnome 2 GUI, as with MATE, seems to
have all of the functionality that a professional (not "thats
entertainment") user needs.  As MATE is a "fork" of Gnome 2 updated to
run under later release distros for which Gnome 2 is not available (and
not being developed/ported by the Gnome "team"), it more or less is
Gnome 2 (with icon and possibly name changes, just as SL has icon
changes from RHEL in so far as such icons carry the Red Hat "brand" --
thus there is "eye of mate" rather than "eye of gnome", etc.).

Yasha Karant