SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2016

From:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2016 08:14:10 +0000

> On 3 Apr 2016, at 17:32, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> If you need better authentication, then look into CIFS (which Linux
> and various network appliances use Samba to publish), or possibly
> NFSv4 (which has much better user authentication than NFSv3, but is
> more complex to set up).

I would not bother with NFSv4, my experience is that it's basically broken on OS X. Problems include very poor performance and name mapping not working. We used NFSv3 for our lab iMacs, that worked fine but we had to disable NFS locking to get decent performance (the Finder does a lot of locking). We no longer have lab iMacs so now we use Samba (4.2 on FreeBSD/ZFS).

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland, No. SC013532.