SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2016

From:
Brandon Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brandon Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2016 22:12:44 -0700
On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> In this regard, is anyone using Ubuntu LTS in a production environment?  Is
> it fact both stable and (reasonably) hardened (e.g., not a
> consume/enthusiast product such as
> MS Win or RH Fedora)?

Ubuntu LTS is used in a lot of production environments that tend to
require newer libraries and packages. Most major distributions are
reasonably secure out of the box, I'd argue that the primary
difference is EL tends to have very thoroughly vetted package updates.
I've seen some LTS packages with bugs and most other distributions
don't test packages thoroughly enough for production. Debian however
is very stable for servers (I'd probably use Debian over Ubuntu for
production).

Brandon Vincent