SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2016

From:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2016 16:10:14 +0100
re-sending to list

On 03/04/16 06:36, David G.Miller wrote:
> Yasha Karant <ykarant@...> writes:
>

>> An alternative approach -- if it will work.  Suppose I purchase a 1
>> Tbyte external USB drive (typically with a NTFS partition//format, but
>> this can be changed).
>> Suppose I install such a drive in the target machine that has MS Win 10
>> on the internal hard drive, and then, during the boot (secure boot
>> disabled, legacy boot enabled),
>> boot from the SL 7.2 install DVD.  Could I do the full install (I am not
>> worried about partitions, etc., yet -- merely for testing purposes) to
>> the USB drive, not touching the internal harddrive,
>> and, after the install, boot the machine from the external USB drive
>> (again, not touching the harddrive).  Is this feasible?  I fully
>> understand that an external USB drive machine will be "slower" than
>> a properly configured SATA internal harddrive machine -- but will this work?
>>
>> Yasha Karant

>>> Best option is to remove the drive and put your own in for testing.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, clone the drive with CloneZilla or if you're more
>>> comfortable, "dd | gzip -1" and muck with it to your hearts
>>> content...if you need to restore it to 'factory condition' just
>>> restore your backup.
>>>
>>> I do this with ANY new purchase...before turning the system on and
>>> booting it up.
>>>

> I did that for a few years with Fedora.  I still have a 400GB USB drive with
> a couple of versions of Fedora on it (I "walked" forward my Fedora installs
> so that I had a stable, previous version install on one set of partitions
> and the latest, bleeding edge on another partition set).  I needed a newer
> kernel than was shipping with SL/CentOS/RHEL at the time.  Just keep track
> of which drive is which when you do the install and change your boot order
> so the USB drive has priority if it's attached.
>
> I tend to use this arrangement with my "work" laptops that come with Windows
> installed by the IT department on the hard drive.  I boot the systems to
> Linux on the external USB and can then escape from Windows when I feel the
> need.
>
> I also found the Linux install on an external drive is even portable between
> hardware platforms so an option is to install to the external drive from so
> other hardware and just boot the problem laptop from the external drive
> after you've confirmed that the installation works.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

I've had an interesting week with a new 3TB drive and a family box that
has been running MS Vista for years.  I disconnected the Windows HD 'for
safety' and installed kubuntu from the live DVD, with few problems until
I tried a 'real' boot, which failed.  Eventually I installed buntu 14
with grub alongside Vista on the original HD, and also have buntu 16
beta on the new one; at present they will all boot and run.  Don't know
if SL7 would do the same.  But the USB drive exploit looks handy.

John P