SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2016

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2016 15:37:54 -0700
An alternative approach -- if it will work.  Suppose I purchase a 1
Tbyte external USB drive (typically with a NTFS partition//format, but
this can be changed).
Suppose I install such a drive in the target machine that has MS Win 10
on the internal hard drive, and then, during the boot (secure boot
disabled, legacy boot enabled),
boot from the SL 7.2 install DVD.  Could I do the full install (I am not
worried about partitions, etc., yet -- merely for testing purposes) to
the USB drive, not touching the internal harddrive,
and, after the install, boot the machine from the external USB drive
(again, not touching the harddrive).  Is this feasible?  I fully
understand that an external USB drive machine will be "slower" than
a properly configured SATA internal harddrive machine -- but will this work?

Yasha Karant