SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2016

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2016 20:02:31 -0700
On 03/30/2016 06:56 PM, jdow wrote:
> On 2016-03-30 10:59, Yasha Karant wrote:

>>> I *think* emacs writes a new file with a different name and then
>>> renames it.
>>> Try "ls -li /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0" before and after
>>> editting; if the inode/inum (the number at the beginning) has changed
>>> that is what your editor is doing, and what NetworkManager is
>>> looking for.

>> I have a related question.  I have now inserted an appropriate UTP
>> cable into
>> the RJ-45 jack on my laptop, I have a green LED (meaning MAC signal)
>> -- thus I
>> have a 802.3 connection.  However, unlike previous incarnations of
>> Network
>> Manager, the present SL7 one does not allow me to activate the 802.3
>> connection,
>> but only the 802.11 connection. Evidently, despite claims that NAT
>> should work
>> with 802.11 to VirtualBox running a MS Win 7 Pro guest (a claim as I
>> recall
>> contradicted by other respondents), it does not (MS Win sees no
>> network).  Thus,
>> I am attempting to run my laptop on a wired 802.3 connection, but I
>> cannot seem
>> to activate it.  I do need Network Manager when I am in the field and
>> must
>> connect to arbitrary 802.11 WLANs in a fashion similar to MS Win and
>> Mac OS X
>> (for which the "automagic" 802.11 DHCP hotel, etc., networks seem to be
>> designed).  How do I get Network Manager to allow me to activate the
>> wired
>> connection?  Note that Network Manager does "see" the 802.3 NIC ( it
>> displays
>> Ethernet Network (Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM) but shows
>> disconnected and
>> will not let me connect.  Do I need to be root to make this happen?
>>
>> If this related query should be a new thread, I will repost as such
>> if that is
>> appropriate.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Yasha Karant
>
> Yasha, you may find you have to modify the virtual box settings so
> that they are not trying to use a network connection that is not
> active. That will also mean shutting down VB and restarting it. This
> is an issue I have with a Windows 7 host, as well.
>
> Disconnected adapters won't communicate with anything. And when you
> connect 802.3 the 802.11 connection is shut down.
>
> {^_^}
Thank you for that information.  However, reading the VirtualBox manual
(https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/) I cannot find the command to
shutdown VirtualBox.  Because EL 7 no longer uses the standard rc
scripts, where do I look?  Does VirtualBox have its own command?  I have
looked through the VBoxManage switches, and I cannot seem to find one
that allows one to shutdown all of the VirtualBox services and then to
restart these.   Details for SL7 would be most appreciated.