SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2016

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2016 00:55:56 +0200
On 31/03/16 00:10, Benjamin Lefoul wrote:
> But sed -i ALSO changes the inode, and as I said it doesn't work:
>
> root@hoptop:~# touch a
> root@hoptop:~# ls -i a
> 9700011 a
> root@hoptop:~# sed -i 's/q/a/g' a
> root@hoptop:~# ls -i a
> 9700013 a

I've not looked into the NM code.  But it wouldn't surprise me that much
if inotify is used.  But it might be it doesn't catch all the events
which sed would trigger, but only modification triggered by editors.

Can you also check what happens to the inode on a file if you use vim/emacs?

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth