SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2016

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2016 11:41:25 -0700
My understanding is that 802.11 NAT, etc., connectivity from SL 7 to
VirtualBox to MS Win does not work because the kernel releases for SL 7
no longer support this possibility.  I know it functions in SL 6 because
my spouse still has SL 6 on her laptop (her machine is underprovisioned
effectively to run a 64 bit OS and it is not cost effective to
re-provision the machine, although the CPU is an X86-64) and this
works.  This is necessary to run an application that must connect to the
Internet and is not available for native Linux, only MS Win and Mac OS
X.  (For those who are curious, the application is an USA income tax
preparation/paying program of which we have used an annual edition for
many years under MS Win under VirtualBox under SL.)  I have migrated my
machines to SL 7.

Given this, if I instead connect using 802.3 to a 802.3 port and do not
use 802.11, will the standard NAT I mention above work?     My
understanding from previous responses/posts to this list is that the SL7
kernel series still does provide this necessary support for 802.3 but
not 802.11.

I have attempted to use a USB port 802.11 WNIC that is supported under
Linux and purportedly under MS Win 7; VirtualBox does redirect the USB
device to MS Win and MS Win "sees" it.  However, the MS Win driver is
lacking, and unless I have Internet MS Win connectivity, I do not know
how to get the MS Win driver.  Under MS Win, the driver seems to be
gotten automagically from some MS Win repository, possibly one from
Microsoft.  If at all possible, I do not want to do any non-automagic
systems work on MS Win, particularly as in most cases this seems to
involve regedit (editing the MS Win 'registry", a poorly constructed and
documented structure).

Any information will be appreciated; otherwise, I will need to use my
wife's SL 6 machine.

Yasha Karant