SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2016

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2016 00:14:57 -0400
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 9:18 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 03/21/2016 03:32 PM, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
>>
>> vsftp is pretty much the standard these days
>>
>> there is a standard package, its fairly simple to setup as a basic ftp
>> server but it has a lot of options, including the ability to configure
>> TLS encryption.

Seconded, and the support for FTPS is robust. Note that this is *not
the same as SFTP*, which is SSH based.

>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 6:04 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am working on a design for a customer for an in house backup
>>> repository.  I could use Samba, but Ransom Ware takes after anything
>>> with a drive letter.  So I was look at Cobian Backup which allows Windows
>>> machines to backup to an FTP server, thus defeating Ransom
>>> Ware's ability to infect backups with drive letters.
>>>
>>> Cobian Backup also do not use proprietary formats.  And their
>>> files would be accessible by using "ftp://local.ftp.server"
>>> from Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer).

I'm holding my nose. The FTP protocol does not include content or
passphrase encryption. FTPS, or FTP over SSL, does.

>>> So, I was wondering if any of you had a favorite easy to administer FTP
>>> server that was SL 7.2 friendly?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>>
>>> rsync would work too, but it is not accessible through Windows
>>> Explorer.  (Any time you assign a drive letter, Ransom Ware will
>>> tag all your files.)

If you need SFTP/SCP/rsync over SSH,a nd want to chroot cage the
connections, the "rssh" package is pretty good, and I publish updates
to build chroot cages for it at
https://github.com/nkadel/rssh-chroot-tools. I've sent the updated
tools to the author of rssh, but he seems uninterested in updating it.

> Hi Paul,
>
> Thank you!
>
> Can I set up the ftp server such that one user only has
> write only access and another users has only has read
> only access?  That would mess with a crypto virus something
> awful!

Yes, you can do quite a lot with the vsftpd options and controlling
permissions for browsing. It's difficult to allow upload only without
read access, but you can set it to disallow brosing the contents of
directories.