SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2016

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2016 20:31:00 -0500
On 03/18/2016 08:04 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Anyone have a favorite small (2 to 4 TB) Network Attached Storage
> (NAS) that is Linux friendly.  No weird drivers, etc..

While I have /lots/ of complaints against my second gen Drobo (USB:
approx 7..almost 8 years old now), it does what I need it to do and I
have not had driver issues with it on any version of Linux in years. A
friend bought one a year ago that he just runs off the network only. He
likes it quite a bit and 98% of the complaints I have with my 2nd gen,
are not issues on his. Only 'issue' he has is that it seems to top out
around 65MB/s when transferring to it (he gets much better speeds to
other computers on his network) but that is enough to stream a couple of
HD movies without issue.

I have lost several drives over the years, but never any data in my
Drobo. Overall, it was one of my better purchases.

And to keep this somewhat related to the list...Since mine is USB based,
for the last 4 or so years it has been running attached to a Scientific
Linux install of some kind (Just upgraded to 7.2 a few months back).

~Stack~