SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2016

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2016 19:25:53 -0500
jdow
There are commercial (Squid uses the BSD License) versions that can do
this out of the box based on squid 3, you can also do a DIY version
but it takes a considerable amount of work.

The one thing is they are somewhat controversial so you need to notify
your employees that you are doing it to avoid liability if you do it
across the board. what the do is provide a dummy cert internally
decrypt the data, pass it through an external analysis program then
re-encrypt it using the actual sites cert to forward it.
By the way this is essentially how Superfish worked except they
installed an agent to transparently redirect to their proxies on the
client device (there were Apple IOS,and android versions of the agent
too not just the windows version Lenovo was shipping out in their
computers).
The risk in this approach is that the squid proxy will need to
dynamically create SSL certs for the internal connections so unless
they are assisted by a very expensive (last I looked $10k+ each)
hardware SSL accelerator card the will need to be very weak certs
otherwise you will have connections blocked due to lack of entropy.
That said you can limit the liability by limiting the behavior to
specific domains such as microsoft.com.